We all know that maintaining a healthy diet as well as good nutritional intake is highly important for all. But it is pivotal to lead a healthy lifestyle for seniors living in assisted living facilities in Mesa, AZ. Having good food just to satisfy your taste buds is not enough when you have retired or are aging. If you are someone who is living in such a facility and have started experiencing micronutrient deficiency, then the reason can be reduced appetite or lack of food variety.
However, every assisted living facility takes good care of every resident, but it is also the responsibility of the resident or elderly people to make a little effort and look after their overall health. There are a lot of things that they can do themselves and maintain their healthy diet. Following simple tips can be helpful in having a nutritional and healthy diet in your daily meals.
Nutritional guidelines which every senior resident should follow
The residents who are living in assisted living facilities or have just begun to search for senior care near me need to ensure that they are getting meals that cater to their nutritional needs. However, the senior resident should also keep in mind that the food they are having fulfills their need for various vitamins and minerals.
Here are some of the common nutritional deficiencies which a senior can face if he or she is looking for their diet habits:
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B12
There can be many reasons behind these deficiencies, but you need to understand the ways to overcome this. Also, another thing that needs to be noted is that residents of assisted living communities can easily game weight which can become hard to lose later. Thus, they should have diet habits that are light in calories but helps them to get the necessary nutrients.
Ways to maintain a healthy diet while living in assisted living communities
If you are willing to have a healthy lifestyle after moving into assisted living facilities in Mesa, AZ, then it is essential to ponder upon your healthy diet. Here are some ways via which you can maintain your healthy diet while you are living in assisted living facilities:
- Opt for a variety of fruits/vegetables - First things first, you should not compromise with your intake of fruits and vegetables. Go for such fruits and vegetables that are antioxidant-rich and offer great benefits to your body. However, don’t just rely on one or two types of fruits and vegetables. It is essential to add variety to your food. You can go for color-rich items like berries, cherries, mangoes, broccoli, etc. Plus, select leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, etc., along with beets and carrots, which will be great. You can consume all of these things by making a salad where you can add a tablespoon of olive oil and other dressing to make it more flavorful.
- Take care of your carb intake - When you are searching for senior care near me and deciding to live independently, it is highly imperative to look after your carb intake. You need to cut it down rather than eliminate the processes or refined carbs like white flour, white rice, sugar, etc. All of these food items can lead to high sugar levels and can also lead to an instant crash which can result in issues like obesity or overeating. Thus, taking care of your carb intake is highly important. You can go for healthy sources of carbs such as brown rice, flour, pasta, etc., as they are also rich in fiber.
- Opt for Omega-3 fatty acids food - A lot of residents don’t understand, but adding fatty acids to your daily diet can be very helpful in maintaining your overall health. Fatty acids food is known to have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help protect you from various medical issues like cancer, heart disease, etc. You can try which is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, like Tuna, Salmon, Mackerel, etc. There are many other options like flaxseeds, soybeans, as well as walnuts which you can even consume as a snack option.
- Add calcium-rich food to your meals - Everyone who is living in assisted living facilities in Mesa, AZ, and the even younger generation is aware of the fact that calcium-rich food is highly essential for our body. As you will age, your body won’t be able to get enough calcium that is required. Thus, the body starts to reabsorb from bones itself, which can lead to various other health issues like osteoporosis, etc. This is the reason that it is essential to have calcium-rich food such as leafy vegetables and dairy products like cheese, milk, yogurt, etc. Try to reach your daily level of calcium intake through the diet. In case you are unable to do so, then you can opt for calcium supplements which are prescribed by your doctor.
- Consume fiber-rich food - When you start your age at a great speed, the digestive system of your body starts to slow down. This can lead to various digestive issues, and you are unable to digest the food. To work on this, you need to consume food that is rich in fiber as this will help you to experience proper digestion, as well as help facilitate the process of food moving via the digestive tract. Plus, consuming fiber-rich food is going to help in reducing the risk of heart disease. You can opt for wholegrain bread, pasta, rice, as well as cereal. There are various fiber-rich fruits, nuts, and vegetables that can opt to complete your daily fiber requirements.
If you are searching for senior care near me, then it is essential to keep in mind that your efforts to lead a healthy and beautiful life matter as well. The above-mentioned tips for having a satisfactory and nutritional diet will help you lead a healthy life while living in assisted living. You can opt for the things that suit your body.